Terpin hydrate can be prepared from oil of Turpentine, Thyme, Oregano and Eucalyptus. Generally, it is made by acidic reaction on turpentine oil in the presence of alcohol, and the resultant crystals being filtered off, and then crystallized .
- Synonym : Terpin Powder, Terpin Monohydrate, Terpin Crystal
- Appearance : White sparkling powder
- Color : White powder, lustrous crystals
- Refractive Density : 1.472 to 1.510
- Optical Rotation : +5 TO +18 °C
- Melting Point : 116-117°C
- Flash Point : 45°C
Terpin hydrate is an exceptional expectorant. It is ideal for chronic bronchitis, and also used in the superior stages of acute bronchitis, particularly when the secretion is abnormally free. It is used in bronchitis, pneumonia, chrsonic obstructive pulmonary disease, inflammatory & infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Terpin hydrate facilitates loosen mucus as well as restrain cough.